The 2010 Puget Sound BetterBricks Awards reception honored 11 green building professionals at the Seattle Art Museum’s Olympic Sculpture Park on March 25, 2010.
The BetterBricks Awards recognize architects, engineers, developers, building owners, building operators, facility managers, and other building professionals for their support of high performance commercial buildings in the Northwest with a special emphasis on energy efficiency. BetterBricks
is the commercial building initiative of the Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance (NEEA), which is supported by Northwest electric utilities. Through the BetterBricks initiative, NEEA advocates for changes to energy related business practices in Northwest buildings.
In the Facility Manager/Building Operations Category
, the winner was the Seattle, WA-based Unico Properties
energy management team, Clarence Clipper, Brett Phillips and Mike Bedsworth.
Finalists in this category were: Mike Anderson, buildings and grounds manager, Bellingham School District; and Earl Wayman, senior property manager, GVA Kidder Matthews.
Winners of the 2010 Puget Sound BetterBricks Awards
To achieve high performance buildings, award winners have used and promoted best practices such as maximizing local climate in the design, employing early design decision making and energy modeling, supporting building commissioning, and implementing better building operations. Their projects have achieved substantial energy savings, reduced building operation and maintenance costs, and enhanced productivity of building occupants.
The other winners and finalists of the 2010 Puget Sound BetterBricks Awards
- Winner: Margaret Montgomery, NBBJ
- Finalist: Chris Flint Chatto, ZGF Architects
- Winner: Tom Marseille, Stantec Consulting Services, Inc.
- Finalist: Peter Alspach, Arup
- Winner: NetRiver Phase II Expansion Team – Paul Harris & Adam Vierra, NetRiver; Dave Mackenzie, Design Real Estate; Neil Bavins & Al Thompson, Puget Sound Refrigeration; Randy Valerio, D. Hittle & Associates; Todd Brunner, Brunner Construction
- Winner: Kevin Brown, Swedish Medical Center
- Winner: A-P Hurd, Touchstone Corporation
- Winner: Danny Miller, Performance Mechanical